Monday, March 12, 2012

So, I Guess I'm a Bit of a "Crunchy Momma"...?!

Last night during Jacob's 1 a.m. feeding, I was exploring various Facebook pages that focused on parenting, etc., when I came across the Crunchy Mommas International page.

The Urban Dictionary describes the word "crunchy" as:
Adjective. Used to describe persons who have adjusted or altered their lifestyle for environmental reasons. Crunchy persons tend to be politically strongly left-leaning and may be additionally, but not exclusively categorized as vegetarians, vegans, eco-tarians, conservationists, environmentalists, neo-hippies, tree huggers, nature enthusiasts, etc. 
Now, I do not consider myself to be the crunchy-granola-type, though truthfully I do believe in conservationism and I have been called a tree-hugger once or twice.... but I digress. This definition is just not something that I identify with. So, I was surprised when I found this Facebook Page and found out what it means to be a "Crunchy Momma"... I identify and agree with a lot of these things - though some I have honestly no idea what they even mean... but I can't say I'd be against finding out what they mean and, if I agree with them, applying them to my parenting style!

If I would apply any adjective/label to myself it would be "eclectic." I just think life is too short to be radically attached to one way of living... with the VERY important exception of striving to radically love and obey Jesus Christ. And no, I don't think that's hypocritical - thankyouverymuch :-)

Anyway, I read the info section and it says:

This page is a community group for the extra crunchy mommas to gather. Too often we are on the outskirts of it all - being questioned, critiqued, having to answer to the natural way we raise our children, and justifying our peaceful parenting style. This page is not for debate or defense. It is solely for the gathering of *like-minded* primal mothering moms. Let's support and empower each other in our parenting endeavors. :) crunch crunch 


Mission: Some things we may have in common include, but are not limited to: 
(Note from Jenn: I bolded the things that I either wholly or partially agree with or that I currently do, plan to do or want to learn to do. I put a question mark next to the things that I don't know much or anything about, but that I am interested in investigating further. I crossed out the things that I am not totally on board with.)
Lactivism 
Intactivism 
Baby Cued Feeding 
Baby-Led Weaning 
Physiological Birth (?)
Mother/Baby-friendly Birth 
Homebirth 
Waterbirth 
Freebirth/Unassisted Birth (?)
VBAC . HBAC . VBAMC 
Babywearing 
Sleep Sharing/CoSleeping 
Nighttime Parenting (?)
Cloth Diapering 
Alternative Vaxing/Non-Vaxing 
Homeschooling/Unschooling 
Baby Signing 
Crafting/Knitting/Sewing 
Whole Foods/Organic Foods 
Home Cooking/Gardening 
Buying Local 
Vegan/Vegetarian Diets 
Montessori/Waldorf Education 
Natural Toys 
Animal Rights 
Human Rights 
Attachment Parenting 
Gentle Birth (?)
Gentle Mothering (?)
Peaceful Parenting (?)
Natural Family Living (?)



Hmmm.... I would say maybe I AM a bit of a "crunchy momma"?!

I think it would be fun and interesting to investigate these topics more, or to share my experience with them if I am currently doing them. I suppose I could also write a couple posts about why I am not totally on board with the Vegetarian/Vegan Diets and Animal "Rights".

So, I think I will tackle these topics maybe once a week?? I'll try my best!!

What is your opinion on some of these things? 
Do you consider yourself to be totally "crunchy" or just a teeny bit granola or not at all?!



God bless
xoxo
Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment