Thursday, March 15, 2012

Rejoice Always and Give Thanks... Even at 3 a.m.

It's been soo difficult getting up in the middle of the night lately now that Jacob is sleeping 3-5 hours at a time. When he was eating every two hours throughout the night, and therefore only sleeping about an hour at a time, I don't think I was getting any REM sleep, so it was much easier for me to pop out of bed to feed him. Granted, I would often fall asleep in the chair while nursing, but that's beside the point! Anyway, lately when I get up I have been super grumpy and cranky!

At the Woman's Bible Study that I am doing at church (Stormie Omartian's Power of a Praying Woman), the verse to memorize last week was:
Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
The other night, or morning, who knows, God knows.... anyway, I found myself saying "Rejoice always..." and then I thought (or more like the Holy Spirit gently nudged), "....even at 3 a.m."

Even at 3 a.m. when I hear the fussing of my baby boy as he wakes up hungry and I feel like a complete zombie walking to his co-sleeper...
Rejoice and give thanks that he woke up at all, that God is giving me more rest than previous weeks and that I have the means to even feed him.

Even when I am half-asleep, trying to change his diaper and his little arms are flapping like a bird taking flight and his legs are kicking a mile a minute like an Irish Riverdancer...
Rejoice and give thanks that God gave me a healthy boy who has arms and legs and who has enough energy to use them!

Even when we both come home from a long day and I decide to get some "skin time" in with my precious one, so I take off his adorable outfit and my shirt and we nurse together and it's oh-so-magical, just like you see on those "Breast is Best" pamphlets in the hospital, haha. I'm sitting there, thinking about this very blog post and things I should "rejoice always and give thanks" for, when my little boy starts to poop. At first it's funny, even cute, when I lift his legs to help him fart. Then it gets a little scary, because I know that "the big one" is coming (hadn't pooped yet that day!). I quickly put a burp cloth under his bum because we've had enough blowouts for me to not know better. And he keeps eating. And I wait. But, then I pull him up closer to me. I pull my hand away and look at it, and, you guessed it... blowout. Of course! Really no surprise. However, it is now all over my hands.


JOY.

The FIRST thought that came to my mind was: "Aww, geez, God, now what in the world can I be thankful for about this?!"

Well, when you ask God a question like that, He will answer you!

Rejoice and give thanks that:

1.) Our God is with us even in these day-to-day, gross moments... and He has a sense of humor, sometimes using very strange ways to teach us lessons lol
2.) I took his adorable outfit off and saved it from getting stained!
3.) I quickly thought to put the burp cloth down under his bum, otherwise it would be all over my pants!
4.) I was within reach of more burp cloths to wipe my hands off, so I didn't have to use the already poopy burp cloth.
5.) I have running water, soap and antibacterial liquid to clean my hands.
6.) I did get to spend some unpoopy, oh-so-magical skin time with my baby boy before this "event" happened :-)

The list could go on and on!

No matter WHAT the circumstance is, you can always find something REJOICE AND GIVE THANKS for! Even if you have to ask God to show you what it is.


Here's the adorable outfit that was saved!!

Is there a moment you can think of where everything seemed to go wrong and God showed you what to be thankful for? Did giving thanks to God make the moment seem more bearable?

God bless!
xoxo
Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment