Thursday, October 7, 2010

My soul thirsts

"O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you;
my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you,
in a dry and weary land where there is no water."
 

I chose that verse because I really wanted to write about something tonight and that was the Verse of the Day in the Bible Gateway widget in my sidebar. The funny thing is that I thought I was choosing it haphazardly, but after I just read it a couple times I realized was reminded - there is no such thing as haphazard when it comes to my God. He had me choose that verse for a very real reason:

Tomorrow I am going on my first ever fasting retreat.

What a perfect verse to choose Lord. The goal of the retreat is to dig deeper in God's word and to earnestly seek Him. My body will thirst for water, but should I drink, I will just become thirsty again; but my soul thirsts for the Living Water that flows from a never-ending Source and when I drink of it, I feel quenched. I will hunger for bread, something to sustain my body, but should I eat, I will hunger once more; but He who is the Bread of Life, the Sustainer, He gives the sustenance I truly need.

This weekend will be about retreating from life's distractions and focusing whole-heartedly on He who gives us life, but it will also be about deep and serious prayer for our nation, our families, ourselves. For rededicating ourselves to our Holy God, to get away from the noise and listen to God's voice.

"Be still and know that I am God."
Psalm 46:10

I am so excited to devote an entire weekend solely to God. No T.V. No blogs. No work. No cell phone. Just quiet time with my God and fellowship and worship with sisters in Christ. I look forward to encouraging each other and praising Him together. I already feel blessed by it and I haven't even attended yet!

"As the deer pants for streams of water,
so my soul pants for you, O God.
My soul thirsts for God, for the living God.
When can I go and meet with God?"

Pslam 42:1-2



Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment