Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Hiding God's Word in My Heart

The fasting retreat was so amazing. My mind was so clear and distraction-free and I loved the feeling of constantly setting my thoughts on God and reading His word. Such an amazing peace!

We got together during meal times to "fill up" on worship & praise and sharing scriptures and praying. I never really felt hungry once; I did get small hunger pangs a couple times, but thinking on God and His word made it go away. It was amazing to see how His word becomes so real in a situation like fasting.

Everyone who came had a reason for why they were fasting and mine was to increase my faith in God and to reignite the fire in my heart for Him. I felt that if I am not feeling strong in faith & obedience then how can I even effectively pray for others and how will I be able to be a light to others? Well, it definitely worked! I drew near to Him and He drew nearer to me, just as He promised. My heart and mind feels so renewed, but I need to make sure that I continue reading His word every single day, morning and night.

 
Today on the radio I was listening to In the Market with Janet Parshall and her guest was Dr. Frank Minirth and he was discussing his book Boost Your Brain Power: Proven Ways to Keep Your Mind Young (previously published as A Brilliant Mind). It was so interesting! He was saying that you can redirect the neuro-circuitry in your brain to however you want essentially... similar to Aristotle's "You are what you repeatedly do", but more like "You can become who you want by what you repeatedly do (or read)." So, he was saying that if you memorize short Scripture verses, then after time you actually become like those verses. So essentially you become more Christ-like by hiding His word in your heart & mind! (Duh, isn't that what the Bible already tells us?! hehe)

Here is the description of Janet Parshall's interview with Dr. Frank Minirth (click on that link to listen to the program!):
Most people use less than 5 percent of their overall brain potential. Dr. Frank Minirth will help us tap into the other 95 percent of our brains. He will also reveal eight time-proven memory techniques, encourage Scripture memorization, and offer insights into language that will open new doors for any listener. Tune in to this compelling conversation!

I'll leave you with a verse that we all focused on while at the Fasting Retreat.
"We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ."
2 Corinthians 10:5

 In the name of Jesus I pray that my mind be conformed to Your will Lord and that my thoughts, which lead into action, may be completely aligned with Your word. I pray that I take captive every thought and if it is distracting or destructive, and if it sets itself up against Your will and Your word, that I demolish it on the spot. Let not the evil one set himself up in my mind Jesus. Lord, may it be only the Holy Spirit who directs my thoughts, that I may remain obedient to You my God and that Your will may be done in my life.
Amen

Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment