Monday, September 6, 2010

I Smile

Multitude Monday: One Thousand Gifts, by A Holy Experience


God is so good. That small sentence has such enormous truth and meaning and comfort behind it. He is good, He is good, He is good.

I was feeling very down and dejected and insecure and UGLY this morning. Wishing I was as beautiful as a model and that I had awesome clothes and gorgeous, flowing, effortlessly-tousled hair. I know that sounds really shallow and petty, but... everyone's messed up in one way or another, so please don't judge me. My husband hugged me and tried to make me feel better, but it just wasn't working.

So I continued to sit cross-legged on our couch, wrapped up in Jon's sweatshirt, with the hood hanging low over my face, arm crossed, pout in full force, pathetically pitying myself and agreeing with the evil thoughts in my head, "You are not nearly as pretty as all the other women you see on fashion blogs, etc. You could never look that good." And on & on I listened to satan's lies. (By the way, Dear Spell Check, stop trying to make me capitalize the word satan. I just won't do it!!!)

Anyway... the alarm on my phone went off. Jon turned it off, read the calendar event on the phone and asked, "What's 'If my people'??" I said, "Ohh thanks, that's my reminder to pray for the 40 Day prayer campaign thing... sometimes I'll forget to pray if I don't remind myself... :-/"

Thanks God, for that very timely reminder :)

So. I turned my head up and began to pray: Thank You God, You are so good. Fill our home with Your Holy Spirit and let Your light shine through us. Lift me up O' Lord, lift up my spirit that I may face the day. And on & on I went... and He did as I asked.

Spirits lifted, I opened my eyes and grabbed the laptop with the intention of writing a blog post. I wanted to thank God for... being God and being faithful... and so I ran a google search on "Lift Me up O Lord" hoping to find a verse of scripture that I could base the blog on. I stumbled upon a blog called Daily Grace and at the bottom of the first post I read was a blog button that said "Walk with Him Wednesday". I thought, oh that's cool I should do that too, so I clicked through on the button {so that I could get the code to use it on my blog as well} and landed on the A Holy Experience blog... Hmm, I've been here before... Yes, I've stumbled across and have been blessed by this woman's words before, about a year or so ago... Anyway, at the bottom of her latest entry about Guatemala's poor and how the poorest people pay the highest price, she listed things that she was grateful for: a pillow at the end of the day, shoes, stable roads, electricity.... And at the end of that post, was another blog button, except this one said "Multitude Monday: One Thousand Gifts".

I smile. "Well. It's Monday... and I sure do have a multitude of things to be thankful for :) Let's do this."

So, from now on, every Monday will be Multitude Monday:

#1. First and foremost, above all else, Thank You God for being You. Your qualities are too many to list, more than I can even fathom, but You are Good, which I feel encompasses lots of qualities. We tend to think very lightly about the word "good" because we hear it so often throughout our day, but this tiny word is jam-packed full of GREAT meanings that all point to our Creator, King and Father. Some definitions of "good" are:  

full; morally admirable; having desirable or positive qualities; beneficial: promoting or enhancing well-being; of moral excellence; agreeable or pleasing; dependable; most suitable or right for a particular purpose; resulting favorably; appealing to the mind; capable of pleasing; superior to the average; satisfactory; worthy of respect; honorable; competent; skilled; complete; thorough; beneficial to health; valid or true; genuine; real; able to pay or contribute; able to elicit a specified reaction; upright; benevolent; kind; ample; substantial; bountiful; loyal; rich and fertile; not ruined or decayed; etc. etc. etc!!!

WOW!!! HOW GREAT IS OUR GOD!? HE IS SOO GOOD! Thank You Thank You Thank You God, for being YOU and for being GOOD!

I lift up Your Name O LORD, in honor and praise :) Love You with all my heart and soul and mind <3

Update: If you would like to join the Gratitude Community, please click here.
"Gratitude bestows reverence, allowing us to encounter everyday epiphanies, those transcendent moments of awe that change forever how we experience life and the world." John Milton

1 comment:

  1. Hey jenn,

    I am from ROmania :)
    I found your blog, when i was searching for an image.. and i got here :))
    I red some of your posts, and i wanted to tell you that i, kind of feel the same...
    Somtimes, i can t find any reason to smile, but being God s child, makes me smile every day...

    Well, God bless you... and always go on !!!

    ReplyDelete