Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Keep on keeping on

The other day Jon and I went hiking nearby our home. It was supposed to rain that day, but it held off and we just went for it. We love hiking, but very rarely do it. In fact... we rarely get much exercise at all! :-/ {Jon moves around a lot more at his jobs than I do... Like I said over there in my bio, I do internet marketing and website content management.. so that equals sitting on my butt all day!}


Anywho, I love taking nature walks and looking at and taking pictures of God's beautiful creations.

Like.. just check out this tree!!! A beaver totally went at that thing like it was his job!.. because it IS his job!! that was the job that God gave him in life. I just love it! I love love love God's creations! He never ceases to amaze me and that's one of the main reasons why I cannot wait to homeschool. I just get so giddy with excitement when I learn about nature or science or culture, etc., because we are all God's creations and I love learning about His laws of nature and science and how the human mind works and how we are all different in this wonderful world.


Jon wanted to climb to the top so he could take pictures, so even though I knew it'd be a rough road ahead of us, I happily said yes. {who could say "no" to that face of his? ;)}


About 10 minutes into walking uphill though, my breaths were getting shorter and shorter and my chest was getting tighter and tighter.

Although I could barely go twenty feet without saying something along the lines of, "Oh... my... I .... I... this.. is.. hard!", I kept on keeping on!

Jon was pretty much flying ahead of me, stopping every once in a while to let me catch up {thanks hun!}


Howeverrr... About half way up, I started getting a little dizzy. My chest was burning. And I could barely get 1/2 a sentence out my breathing was so shallow.

I gave up. I just couldn't do it. I had to sit. I let Jon climb the rest of it and I made my way back down.


I was thinking about this hike earlier and thinking how unconditioned I am. My older sister wants to climb Mount Monadnock with me this summer... but if I don't get conditioned then I wont make it to the top! {we tried last year and I could only make it 3/4 of the way up.. disappointing}


I was also thinking that I could compare this with my life as a Christian. 


Climbing the mountain is... well.. life as a Christian. It's being a follower of Christ, which is not an easy road! It is very tough and sometimes you feel like you can't go on when life's obstacles come up against you.


And exercising is like prayer. Without consistent and dedicated exercise I cannot get to the top of Mount Monadnock.. at least not without collapsing from exhaustion! And without consistent and dedicated prayer we cannot make it through our Christian walk without always feeling totally defeated and tired of life. Connecting to God through prayer is our fuel that keeps us strong and spiritually healthy and when our legs feel like they are going to just give out from underneath us, He is there to help us keep on keeping on.


"I lift mine eyes unto the hills. From where does my help come? My help comes from the LORD, Maker of Heaven and Earth." Psalm 121:1-2

No comments:

Post a Comment